Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Job of My Dreams

This past year I've gone on quite a few interviews, a nerve-wracking experience in today's job market for anyone, but especially for those of us on the other side of forty.  For the most part the interviews have gone well, and although I didn't always get the call-back for a second interview, I came through the experiences with a positive attitude and enough praise from the interviewer to move ahead with my job search.  
Until last week.
The job advertisement was for a Marketing Assistant - a "people person" with various office and computer skills.  I have all the qualifications so I applied.  On Thursday I got the call for the interview and spent Thursday night filling out the application and revamping my portfolio.  It was a small (2 person office) business so I choose not to wear a suit but instead wore a nice skirt, top, and dressy sweater.
Maybe it was the sweater.
The outside of the building looked liked it belonged in the slums.  I overlooked that part knowing that ninety percent of small businesses in the Cleveland area have failed in the past 3 years.  The inside did look better and when I opened the door to the office I was interviewing at, I was impressed with the set-up.
Still, something didn't feel right.
Ms. Small Office greeted me first.  She was dressed in jeans so I was glad that I didn't overdress.  Soon Mr. Small Office came in and shook my hand.  Nice guy. Worked his way up from the bottom, kept his business running during the recession.  
Yet, the looks that Ms. and Mr. were throwing my way made me want to say, "Didn't expect someone old and chubby to walk through the door, did you?"
Then Mr. "I am the Leader and Decision Maker" walked in.  For you "youngster" interviewers out there - remember- most of us old folks know instinctively when we are not wanted.  This young man did not hide his surprise when he saw that there was not a pretty young thing waiting to impress him.  In fact, he just starred at me for while after he sat down.  When Mr. Small Office tried to pick up the slack by asking me to tell them about myself, I could see Mr. Decision Maker shaking his head "no."  
That's when the words coming out of my mouth started fighting with the thoughts going through my "old" brain.
Me - "I completed my college degree two years ago when I was laid-off."
Ms. Small Office - "I give you a lot of credit for finishing your degree...while you were laid-off."
"Old" Brain - "You mean you give me a lot of credit for finishing my degree at my age, don't you?"  
Me - "Thank you"
Mr. Decision Maker - "What would your employers say about you?"
Me - "I am punctual, helpful, a team player, meet deadlines, and always do a good job."
"Old" Brain - "I do a good enough job that they can ignore my "Senior" moments."
The interview lasted less than 15 minutes, and that was with phone calls from their kids and a current employer looking for his paycheck.  They had no interest in looking at my portfolio, the portfolio that impressed other interviewers enough to give me that second interview. I walked outside into the sunshine glaring at the dirt-covered windows of the building, got into my car and drove away, laughing, knowing I would not be back.
Now, I do give my interviewers credit - they worked their way up from employees to employers, moved out of their parents attic into their customized 3000 square foot homes, work two days a week and make enough money in one year to support their families for ten years.  They are no different than many people today - make it big, get it all, sit back and relax.  I wouldn't mind having it all either - but not at the expense at making fools out of others.
Mr. Decision Maker; Ms. and Mr. Small Business, Here's a little information I didn't give you in the interview:
I was once that Pretty Young Thing.  I was even told by a co-worker once that the sales guys were glad I was hired because I was "nice to look at."  That was okay, because I knew I was hired by the owner because I had the job skills.  I completed most of my college education while raising three girls, working full-time, and running interference between my parents.  I don't like men who act like I am a second class citizen, and I don't like people who judge me by my age, looks, or weight.  It is not polite to answer the phone while in a business meeting with anyone.  Mr. Decision Maker, you need that self-righteous attitude smacked out of you!  Someday, not too far in the future, you will be looked upon as being "old."  
For this "old" lady who is writing this post, the week didn't end on a bad note.  I met all my deadlines at the office before leaving on Friday, spent Saturday afternoon at JoAnn's choosing fabric for baby gifts, Saturday night having a nice dinner with my man, and to top it off, was hired for my first paying writing assignment.
In the end, I got the job of my dreams after all! 


  
 
 
 

No comments: